I have a flaky obsession. I can admit it. When I saw this polish and the amazing gold/orange flakies floating in that lovely fuschia pink, I had to have it. I couldn't find it here in Tokyo, so I caved and bought it on Ebay. I was so excited to try this, but because the polish I had on at the time was so beautiful and I didn't want to take it off (Ascalon, review coming up soon), I waited about a week to use it.
The good news is that it looks as good on the nail as it does in the bottle. There's no problem of shimmer not transferring, flakies being invisible, etc. A lot of people have done reviews about Sweet Dreams, but I'll just put down a few quick thoughts.
This polish is a jelly and rather sheer. In the pictures I'm wearing three very thick coats with two coats of Seche Vite. Even with all the layers, I can still see my nail line a bit. I think next time I'll layer this over another polish that I have. The thick coats made my manicure begin to chip soon after the first day was over. I've already had to touch up one or two chips since I put it on yesterday. I think I'll take it off tomorrow.
I have a few polishes with flakies and this is the first one where the flakies were kind of thick and rough. They made it hard to apply the polish and hung over the edge of my nail, snagging things until I filed them down. When the polish dried, it had this weird, rough, gritty feeling. That's why two coats of Seche Vite were necessary. It also dried a bit matte and needed the Seche Vite to really make the flakies shine. Like I said, I'm no stranger to flakie polishes, so I was a little shocked by the texture of this polish. I've heard Mermaid's Dream by Lippmann is the same, so maybe this is just an issue all her glitter and flakie polishes have. Mermaid's Dream is actually on my wish list for next month's haul, so I'll see and compare when I get it!
This polish was a real pain to apply as the jelly dried so fast that after one stroke on the nail, the polish got all gummy on the brush. I don't think I'll ever apply three coats again. Too much trouble! I'm wondering if I should try using a thinner on it?
The final product is very pretty, though, so I'm glad it's a part of my collection. I figure with a good cream base colour to cover up the nail line and just one or two coats of this on top will make application much easier. It was a hassle to apply and a bit pricey, so if you're not super in love with the colour and burn with the need to own it, I wouldn't bother. Just buy a lovely hot pink polish like Essie's Guilty Pleasures (one of my fave shades of all time) and layer an orange flakie like Zoya's Chloe over it.
My final comment is on removal. It wasn't that hard to take off, which was nice, since so many flakies want to adhere to the nail and never let go. The one issue I had was that I ended up with orange/bronze sparkles all over my skin after taking the polish off and it was so hard to get off! Next time I'll have a nail brush and acetone prepped and ready to go before I remove the polish.
No comments:
Post a Comment