Thursday, May 3, 2012

Deborah Lippmann Candy Shop

Lately I'm on a DL kick. I've been rocking her polishes back to back and neglecting the rest of my collection. I guess it's because she tends to make unusual shades or types of nail polish that you don't see much elsewhere. They must be good, because look how many companies make dupes!

Anyways, I was planning to buy Happy Birthday a while back, but OPI put out Rainbow Connection and it was cheaper, so I bought that instead. When I saw that Candy Shop was being released, the cute pink base made me want to snap it up. As soon as I got it, I wanted to put it on. Now that I'm wearing it, I have mixed feelings about it. I'm fickle that way. =P





Don't get me wrong. Candy Shop looks exactly the same on my nails as it does in the bottle. No disappointments with false promises or anything. My beef is more that I'm not sure I like it by itself. I don't usually go for the full glitter-bling-in your face look. To me sometimes the nails just seem a little too much. Other times, they seem perfect. I can't make up my mind about it. I think a good glitter sandwich would be the best use for it (if nothing more than to conserve a pricey polish!) and then I won't worry my nails are too disco ball.


This is two coats of Candy Shop. I could have put on a third and covered up the few baldish patches I have, but I just decided to leave it alone. For two coats I still got pretty good coverage and the candy pink base jelly is actually pretty opaque.


A pic I threw up on Instagram. This pink is closer to the true colour. The glitter looks darker, though. I used one of the intense filters.

I have received a lot of compliments since I put it on, so maybe I'm just being paranoid about the glitter bomb being too much. The longer I wear it, the more it grows on me. I may end up having to buy a back up bottle. LOL

As for application and whatnot, this polish also went on fairly smooth and dried pretty flat. I was afraid all that hex glitter was going to stand up and catch on things, but it went on easily and dried fairly smooth. I did put on a jelly top coat and one coat of Seche Vite just to make sure, but it wasn't really necessary to do both.  I think next time I'll try and use a base colour so that I don't have to waste polish trying to cover bald patches. I don't own it (yet) but I was thinking Essie's Chastity would be a good shade to go underneath.

Since this is a glitter polish, I used the foil method to remove it and it came off like a dream. Much easier than I expected. All the glitter was a bit messy, but even using a mild polish remover worked well. I'm quite pleased! I thought removal would be a nightmare!

For those of you in Tokyo, this shade wasn't available at the few stores that carry DL polishes, but you can order it off the website like I did. It took about 4 days to come in the mail.


No comments:

Post a Comment