Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Oldie But A Goodie

I love summer colours and bright nails, but I'm a little bit on overload right now. All the neons that came out this year have seared my eyes and I want a little rest. In honour of it being September (even though it won't feel like fall until the end of October in Japan), I decided to put on a vampy, fall colour.

I picked up this polish at the end of last year. I've heard it's now somewhat hard to find. It's called Merry Midnight by OPI. It was part of the 2009 Winter/Holiday collection. I love that in Japan HTF or VHTF polishes are often still available! I think it's because gel nails beat out regular manicures in popularity.

For those who don't have it, here's a few shots of the bottle:



A lot of people describe this polish as a dark purple jelly, but I think it's more of a bordeaux colour. You can see it when the bottle is in the sun. It's more of a reddish purple, rather than a grape purple. It has lots of glitter in it, but the predominant colour is a lovely sapphire blue, which you can see in direct lighting. The flakies shift between red, green, yellow and even blue.



Sunlight is best to show off the beauty of this polish, but even in indirect sun or indoor lighting this polish looks beautiful. 



Here I have three coats of Merry Midnight on with one coat of Essie's Good to Go as my top coat. You can see it's a darker plum colour in the shade. I like vampy colours with a hint of something different. =)


Merry Midnight is somewhat sheer and streaky at one coat (unless you really slap it on thick), but you can get away with two coats. I just put on three to really make it dark and glam.


This is a fantastic shade for the fall and winter. It's not super flashy or bright, so I think some people can get away with it in their office, too. 

As far as I know, nobody carries it in stores anymore back in the States, but you see bottles pop up from time to time on Ebay. For those of you in Japan, I got my bottle off Rakuten. It's a treasure trove of discontinued polishes at lower than retail prices!




2 comments:

  1. I love the little flakies in this so hard! I haven't tried this one myself (too HTF) but Sasatinnie has some dupes in navy, bordeaux, and purple.

    Funny how, as hard as it can be to find a lot of Stateside polishes in Asia, every now and then, you can get your hands on one that's long gone in the US. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True! There are a few other polishes from the same collection I want to buy that are all up on Japanese sites. I love that you can find polishes way back from 2006 in Japan. We usually get the new collections, but they cost about 3 to 4 times more than in the States. I usually end up using this website that imports them cheaply.

      Delete