Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Rip Off

In Japan a lot of things are expensive. I'd kind of come to accept that, until I got back into nail polishes. Now I'm constantly pissed off or despairing when I see the prices of brands like OPI or Essie. 


People back home pay about $8.00 for a polish and think that's expensive. Here we pay between ¥1800-2100 for OPI and Essie. That's about $23.00 - 26.00 U.S. per polish. Yah. Deborah Lippmann's are usually about ¥2800 to 3000 ($36-38) and Chanel, Dior and the rest average about the same. Nail polish in Japan is a rip off.


Now, having been here almost 7 years (yah, I can't believe it either. Where did time go?), I've found ways to feed my addiction without breaking the bank. I shop online at Rakuten a lot, and also use Mariposa. I usually just go to shops if I want to see new stuff, get nail polish remover or find a bargain. Not to get shocks like this:




This brand, Shareydva, sell polish only in Asia from what I can find on google. This brand polish retails for about ¥1890. OUCH! And it doesn't even have the international reputation of other big brands like Orly, Zoya, etc. Since this was a special collaboration with Disney, the polishes cost even more (pushing them over 2000!). The inhumanity! The injustice!


This is why I'd rather order from Ebay and pay outrageous shipping. 9 times out of 10 it's still cheaper than buying it in a store here! Japan really needs some kind of price freeze on nail polish!


If you're curious about the colours, here's a close up of the swatch.




Very pretty colours and bottle designs, but for those prices, they better apply themselves on my nails!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, yikes! Like you said, lovely colours, and the bottles are super cute, but that price tag! And I thought we paid outrageously inflated prices here in Hong Kong... @_@

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elizabeth!

      Yah, prices are redonculous here in Japan. Even mini bottles of polish cost more than $4 here. I envy ppl in the States who can just buy OPI or Essie for less than $10! How much does polish cost you in HK?

      Delete
    2. Hey! Sorry for the late reply--I just happened to click this one again and see your question. Polish in HK is expensive but not quite as bad as it seems to be in Japan. I've found a few places to get OPI, China Glaze, Zoya & Orly for about $9ea, but those are actually discount shops. In salons, OPI is about $17US! Sorry, but no.

      Lippmanns are about $27 (though I've seen one place asking $38).

      You can of course Sasatinnies by the bucketful here for just a couple of dollars each, but the selection is hit or miss. ;)

      Delete